Wednesday 22 October 2014

Sci-fi/ fantasy Environments: Development and Research

Figure 1: Original Render

I started off by looking at the above render.  I had already had a few ideas about what I wanted to do with it so I started off by drawing some rough ideas.

Figure 2: An Early sketch: Windmill

Figure 3: Exploring ideas


I decided to put my coloured blimp into the scene to test the look.  I really like these colours together, and think they create a really neat scene.

Figure 4: Testing the blimp

Further Research:

Naoto Hattori:

Naoto Hattori creates really surreal paintings, which use a warm but subdued colour palette.  The original render instantly made me think of his work.  His balloon animal images such as  'Balloon Horse', and 'Balloon Sheep' (can be seen here: http://www.wwwcomcom.com/gallery8.html)  use this colour palette, and also show the type of surrealism I may want to incorporate into this work.

Studio Ghibli:

When I mentioned Studio Ghibli before I wasn't sure exactly which film it was that this render reminded me of, turns out it was a few of them!  But the one that it makes me think of most is Howl's Moving Castle.

A shepherd looks on as Howl’s castle passes by.

Click here
Figure 5: Howl's Moving Castle. 2004. Retrieved from http://studioghiblibackgrounds.tumblr.com/post/28950631099/a-shepherd-looks-on-as-howls-castle-passes-by


For now I am going to start working on another scene I had some good ideas for- before coming back to finish this one off!

No comments:

Post a Comment