Wednesday 22 October 2014

Photo Manipulation: Cyborg or Android, Starting out

For this task we need to manipulate a photo to create a cyborg or android image.  I really wanted to create a Cyborg Chicken for this task, but realised that I had lost my photos due to a hard drive crash.

Unfortunately I also didn't have the time to try to track down a chicken to photography, so was left with not much choice of subject- aside from myself!  I decided that I would need to use one of the self portrait photos I took earlier in the year.

In class we were shown a couple of tutorials online on cyborg photo manipulation.  To me though, saying these were cyborg was a bit of a misconception, as the finished images seemed more Android. Because of this I started off by thinking about Cyborgs and Androids, the differences between them and and what their purpose in society would be. 

I define Cyborgs as originally organic lifeforms which have been augmented by technology. Androids however I consider to be machines (robots) which are created to simulate the appearance of organic life.  

For both I can see a few reasons for each to have a purpose in society.  Cyborgs could be created either with the idea of replacing lost limbs or organs to preserve or improve life; or as a means of enhancing people or animals for a particular purpose- most likely for violent reasons such as soldier enhancement.  

Androids are created solely for a purpose by society.  Their purpose could definitely vary, and could be anything from providing companionship, to once again more violent purposes.

These are important as the purpose will significantly affect the design.  

I drew a few really quick design sketch ideas, while thinking about these points.
Figure 1: Initial design roughs

Next I began to track down some tutorials and speed paintings for inspiration.  Of those that I looked at my favourite final result was this image from Oliver Wetter.

Figure 2: Android Legacy: Messenger II. Oliver Wetter. (n.d.). Digital Art. Retrieved from http://www.photoshoplady.com/tutorial/making-a-robotic-effect-for-a-human/6003   
What I like about it is how well the artist works with the form.  In many of the other examples the artists sometimes attempt to follow the form of the body, but end up not being as successful.  This work is a bit different in technique as well, as rather then using the pen tool like most other examples the design is hand drawn.  I also liked the incorporation of the hummingbird.   









This is the first example I found using a photo of a man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment